There are two ways of creating clusters using the UI:
- Create an interactive cluster that can be shared by multiple users. These are typically used to run notebooks. Interactive clusters remain active until you terminate them.
- Create an automated cluster to run an automated job. You create an automated cluster when you create a job. Job clusters are terminated automatically after the job is completed.
This topic describes how to create an interactive cluster using the UI.
- To learn how to create automated clusters, see Create a job.
- To learn how to use the Databricks CLI to create clusters, see Clusters CLI.
- To learn how to use the REST API to create clusters, see Clusters API.
You must have permission to create a cluster. See Configure cluster creation permission.
To create a cluster using the UI:
Click the clusters icon in the sidebar.
Click the Create Cluster button.
Name and configure the cluster.
There are many cluster configuration options, which are described in detail in cluster configuration.
Click the Create button.
Initially, the cluster list page displays the status of the new cluster as
Once the cluster state changes to
Running, you can attach notebooks and start running commands and queries.