Access control is available only in the Databricks Operational Security Package.
By default, all users can create and modify workspace objects unless an administrator enables workspace access control. With workspace access control, individual permissions determine a user’s abilities. This topic describes the individual permissions and how to enable and configure workspace access control.
You can assign five permission levels to notebooks and folders: No Permissions, Read, Run, Edit, and Manage. The tables list the abilities for each permission.
|Attach and detach notebooks||x||x||x|
|Create, clone, import, export items||x|
All notebooks in a folder inherit all permissions settings of that folder. For example, a user that has Run permission on a folder has Run permission on all notebooks in that folder.
Go to the Admin Console.
Select the Access Control tab.
Click the Enable button next to Workspace Access Control.
Click Confirm to confirm the change.
Independent of workspace access control, the following permissions exist:
- All users have Manage permission for items in the Workspace > folder. You can grant Manage permission to notebooks and folders by moving them to the folder.
- All users have Manage permission for objects the user creates.
With workspace access control disabled, the following permissions exist:
- All users have Edit permission for items in the Workspace folder.
With workspace access control enabled, the following permissions exist:
- Workspace folder
- Only administrators can create new items in the Workspace folder.
- Existing items in the Workspace folder - Manage. For example, if the Workspace folder contained the Documents and Temp folders, all users continue to have the Manage permission for these folders.
- New items in the Workspace folder - No Permissions.
- A user has the same permission for all items in a folder, including items created or moved into the folder after you set the permissions, as the permission the user has on the folder.
- User home directory - The user has Manage permission. All other users have No Permissions permission.
Open the permissions dialog:
- Notebook - click in the notebook context bar.
- Folder - select Permissions in the folder’s drop-down menu:
Grant permissions. All users in your account belong to the group all users. Administrators belong to the group admins, which has Manage permissions on all items.
To grant permissions to a user or group, select from the Add Users and Groups drop-down, select the permission, and click Add:
To change the permissions of a user or group, select the new permission from the permission drop-down:
Click Save Changes to save your changes or click Cancel to discard your changes.